(written on Thursday)
Tonight was a late night. But not in the way you'd think.
We got home late from errands and I had started dinner before we left and didn't want to waste it. So rather than just throwing some mac and cheese together and calling it good, I took the time to make our spinach artichoke pizza while they did our Friday movie night tonight instead (I could see and hear from the kitchen, one of the good things about a small apartment).
This whole month is Harry Potter! Audrey loves a good movie and is starting to be interested in the "fun-scary" aspect of Halloween. So she was all into the Chamber of Secrets tonight (which I think is one of the scariest ones) and even though she had a very pained/worried/scared expression on her face at parts, whenever we offered to turn it off or fast forward she yelled "no!" We didn't get through the whole movie and I will definitely be skipping the spider part and maybe the snake part too.
Once we sat down to our 9 pm dinner we started new nightly tradition: The Question Game. Or as it has morphed into (because of playing it with a 2 and 4 year old): The Favorites Game. Throughout dinner we go around the table and each person asks everyone else a question. As implied, it's usually a "whats your favorite..." question. It is something I just came up with one night when Samantha was visiting and I wanted some more directed conversation at our dinner table. From that first surprisingly fun dinner it has become this tradition around our table every night.
The best part are the questions they come up with.
Audrey's are sometimes sweet, sometimes random:
"What's your favorite thing about Mommy?"
"What's your favorite witch?"
Hannah's are just cute and hilarious, sometimes just repeating the previous question that we all just answered:
"Who's your favorite cousin?"
"We just did that one Hannah, can you think of a different question?"
"Oh. Who's your FAVORITEST cousin?"
My personal Hannah favorite:
"What's your favorite big pickle?"
I had to stop typing for a minute for laughing so much.
I love my kids and I love my whole life much more when I am patient with them. Then I want them up with us at night instead of counting down the minutes till bedtime. Which is sometimes the case and that's okay. But it feels pretty good to have a night like this every once in awhile.
Earlier in the evening:
![]() |
| eli gets treated to a dance show just about every night too |
Sometimes it's so fun to let it be a late night. For the sake of a good dinner tonight and in the name of "we still just want to be together for a little while."


No comments:
Post a Comment