(My response to the favorite Disney princess question...and let me just preface this by saying that I love them all. I will just always love Cinderella the most.)
When I was younger I thought that being too girly was kind
of uncool…but in my adult years and especially after having two daughters I
have fully and completely embraced every single girly thing I like without
embarrassment. Princesses, the color
pink, painting nails, jewelry, fairytales, butterflies, Avonlea, flowers,
bunnies, clothes, lace, ballet, love stories, Barbies, romantic songs,
everything. I remember some of my
friends talking about how dolls were creepy when I was younger and at the time
I totally nodded my head and agreed…then went home and hugged my beautiful
porcelain doll that I had painstakingly won at a carnival and thought was the
loveliest thing in all the world. Now, I
unapologetically own my girlyness. I
LOVE dolls and I always have. We’re
planning a trip to the American Girl store in Santa Clara when we go home for
New Years this year- it’s over an hour away, but I still couldn’t be more
excited to go!
I also have always loved Disney princesses as part of this
girlyness and the one who has always inspired me is Cinderella. I played Cinderella in a second grade play
and have loved the story ever since. I
am always excited to see any adaptation of the story and am very particular
about how they take care of the characters and if they do them justice.
There are several reasons I love about the Cinderella story. I like her because she is not just pretty girl who
finds a prince to marry. I think Disney tries to teach kids about things
that are worthwhile. She is kind,
hopeful, and optimistic, always finding ways to be happy in her circumstances. That is a lesson I always seem to need to
learn. There wasn’t an end in sight to
her hardships, she seemed prepared to continue on in the life she was leading,
the life her stepfamily had forced upon her.
She was facing her trial, not running from it, not throwing a big fit
about it. She wasn’t trying to escape,
she was facing it with her head held high.
Yet still being humble and kind.
To me Cinderella represents goodness and kindness, class and grace,
being lovely at heart not just in looks.
I was going through a personal challenge recently and
Cinderella came to my mind. (Maybe that seems silly, but if you think about it fictional characters are the role models that'll never let you down!) Natalie and
I had gone to see the new Cinderella movie for my birthday so the story was
fresh in my mind. I liked the new movie…but I
didn’t love it. (And I was bummed
because I wanted to love it.) But
despite the things I didn’t love about it, I was so glad to see it. It was like hearing the story for the first
time and with a more grown up perspective. I was able to see things I hadn’t given much
thought to before. Like that she was a
classy girl…while her stepsisters looked ridiculous in all their frills she was
refined even in her rags. But what made
that difference was in how they acted not the way they looked. Her humility and grace, goodness and
class. I was able to see that it was her
kindness that made her the strong person she was, not by being confrontational
or bossy or loud or entitled.
I want to be like Cinderella. In a lot of ways. Eleanor Roosevelt said, “No one can make you
feel inferior without your consent.” I
confess that I give my consent all the time and then blame other people for my
self-esteem issues. Cinderella knew that
it was all up to her. All the cliché
phrases are true in this story- “Life is what you make it,” “When life gives
you lemons make lemonade.” Looking at
the world through rose-colored glasses as the song says is not naïve…it’s
wisdom, truly. “No matter how your heart
is grieving if you keep on believing the dream that you wish will come true”
sings the orphan girl in rags sleeping in the cold dark attic in her own home
where she has been reduced to a servant.
And then in the end she gets her happily ever after. The one she really really deserves.
“And yet through it
all Cinderella remained ever gentle and kind.
For with each dawn she found new hope that someday her dreams of
happiness would come true.”
These are the exact words from the beginning of the original
Disney movie.
She inspires me about Menieres disease, about an uncertain future, about being lonely, about almost any trial in life. Apply your Cinderella skills. And you will be happy.
She inspires me about Menieres disease, about an uncertain future, about being lonely, about almost any trial in life. Apply your Cinderella skills. And you will be happy.
So when people rip on Disney princess movies they should
look closer at the stories they are telling- stories with good morals about
girls who work hard, keep it classy, stay strong, and keep hope alive during
trials.
We love princesses and we always will! My girls will grow up knowing these stories.





No comments:
Post a Comment