I would just like to say again how much I love my job. I love it more and more everyday. I do believe I have found my calling in life- to work with people who are smaller than me. I love picking up the kids when they fall down, I love chasing them around the playground, I love having light-saber battles and impromptu dance parties at recess. I love having teaching moments and cuddle moments with them. And I absolutely love love LOVE hearing the hilarious things they say.
Right now we are trying to teach them letter sounds. The thing is, I'm not sure if they know what to do when I say a letter and ask them to think of a word that starts with the same letter. Here is an example of how this tends to go down:
Me (holding up the letter C with a picture of a cat on it): E, what letter is this?
E: C! For cat!
Me: Great job! Can you think of a word that starts with the same sound as c-c-cat?
E: Hat!
Me: Okay, that rhymes with it. What about 'c-c-cookie?'
E: Oh yeah that's the one I was thinking of.
Me: Oh good, can you think of another word that starts with C?
E: Bat!
So the rhyming thing was probably something I should've anticipated. But this next one just made me laugh.
Me (holding up the letter U with a picture of an umbrella on it): A, what letter is this?
A: U!
Me: Good job! Can you think of something that starts with the letter U?
A: Umbrella!
Me: Yeah awesome! Can you think of another word that starts with the letter U?
A: Rain!
Me: No...think of a word that starts with the 'uh' sound. 'Uh uh uh.' Can you think of anything?
A: Walking the rain!
Me: No...how about 'under?' That starts with the 'uh' sound. Can you think of something else?
A: Looking out the window at the rain and splashing in the puddles! That starts with U!
Everyday there are funny things they misinterpret when it comes to learning. But everyday there are also funny things they just pull out of their own heads...and those are my favorites. Today one of my favorite kids came into the bathroom where I was changing a diaper. He said he was told to go potty:
Me: Okay, I'm almost done in here and then it will be your turn, okay? Just wait in the hallway and count to five.
S: NO! Miss Kristina said I have to go try to go potty NOW! NOW NOW NOW!!
Me: Okay, S, but she didn't know we were still in here, so you can tell her that you have to wait a minute.
S: (suddenly with a very serious look on his face) Are you gonna spank her butt?
I was laughing so hard that he just walked away confused.
I love my job.
Right now we are trying to teach them letter sounds. The thing is, I'm not sure if they know what to do when I say a letter and ask them to think of a word that starts with the same letter. Here is an example of how this tends to go down:
Me (holding up the letter C with a picture of a cat on it): E, what letter is this?
E: C! For cat!
Me: Great job! Can you think of a word that starts with the same sound as c-c-cat?
E: Hat!
Me: Okay, that rhymes with it. What about 'c-c-cookie?'
E: Oh yeah that's the one I was thinking of.
Me: Oh good, can you think of another word that starts with C?
E: Bat!
So the rhyming thing was probably something I should've anticipated. But this next one just made me laugh.
Me (holding up the letter U with a picture of an umbrella on it): A, what letter is this?
A: U!
Me: Good job! Can you think of something that starts with the letter U?
A: Umbrella!
Me: Yeah awesome! Can you think of another word that starts with the letter U?
A: Rain!
Me: No...think of a word that starts with the 'uh' sound. 'Uh uh uh.' Can you think of anything?
A: Walking the rain!
Me: No...how about 'under?' That starts with the 'uh' sound. Can you think of something else?
A: Looking out the window at the rain and splashing in the puddles! That starts with U!
Everyday there are funny things they misinterpret when it comes to learning. But everyday there are also funny things they just pull out of their own heads...and those are my favorites. Today one of my favorite kids came into the bathroom where I was changing a diaper. He said he was told to go potty:
Me: Okay, I'm almost done in here and then it will be your turn, okay? Just wait in the hallway and count to five.
S: NO! Miss Kristina said I have to go try to go potty NOW! NOW NOW NOW!!
Me: Okay, S, but she didn't know we were still in here, so you can tell her that you have to wait a minute.
S: (suddenly with a very serious look on his face) Are you gonna spank her butt?
I was laughing so hard that he just walked away confused.
I love my job.
No comments:
Post a Comment