Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A little bit about my new job!

This summer has been full of life changing events for us and we are finally beginning to find our way back to a normal kind of life.  Andrew has started school again and is working as well.  This is the first time he's done both at the same time and he is already feeling the pressure from it.  I now have a job at a daycare/preschool and will hopefully be starting my online classes again in January.  What I need to work on now is getting myself into a good routine.  I've spent most of this whole year waking up at whatever time I want because I was able to do school in my pajamas at any time of the day.  Now I have a job that begins at 9:30 everyday- I know it's not even that early!  But for someone who has been waking up at 11:30 or so everyday this is a big change!  Another big change is how I get there every morning...I ride my bike!  My dad got me a bike for my birthday a few years ago and I have only ridden it once or twice here in Provo and probably only about 5 times at home.  So I am finally putting it to very good use and I'm proud of myself for that.  I admit it's not the pretty picture I used to have in my head- me in a sundress and tennis shoes with flowers in my basket.  But as I huff and puff my way there with like 4 other bikers passing me and looking back with concern, and as I walk into work sweaty and red in the face, I somehow can't help but feel a sense of accomplishment.

It was tough to get the job once and for all- they kept having me come back for trial runs and I was worried that that meant they were hoping I'd give up eventually.  But I was pretty determined this time to not end up working at a fast food place.  This job is perfect- it's in my field, it's in walking distance, and it's hours coincide with the RA job.  It's almost too perfect, because on top of all that I have grown to love it already.  It has it's very challenging moments and I am definitely learning what it means to stretch yourself.  But I am also learning to care very sincerely for each of the 22 to 31 kids we have everyday.  Being with them makes me so happy.  Especially during nap time!  They all lay on their mats and we listen to lullaby music until they fall asleep.  We- the two other teachers and I- sit with them or lay next to the ones that have a hard time calming down and we rub their backs until they fall asleep.  There's one tiny little three year old girl in particular who is my favorite.  If I am rubbing another child's back she'll poke her head up and point to her back, whispering (very loudly) "Come here, teacher!  Rub my back!"  She melts my heart every time I look at her or hear her squeaky little voice.  Each kid really has something special about them and I already love them all.

Today I did music time with the kids split up into three separate groups.  The theme for today was about manners and saying please and thank you.  I'm still not the best at being forceful with them or at keeping their attention, but today was a success!  The main teacher gave me a sheet of paper with a song on it to teach them and then some books to read.  Instead of being unsure and trying so hard to do exactly what she said, I took matters into my own hands little more and put my own twist on the song to keep them interested.  Turns out that is exactly what she wants me to do from now on!  It was a song about saying thank you.  My embellishment came in when instead of saying 'thank you' every time I taught them to say it in Spanish, French, and Hawaiian!  Imagine little 3, 4, and 5 years old saying gracias, merci, and mahalo- pretty hilarious.  We also did little hand gestures for each one, like hula for the Hawaiian one.  They were so enthralled with speaking a different language that I had their full attention almost the entire time- something I had never even come close to in the past two weeks I've worked there.

Suffice to say, I like my job and I have high hopes for it.  I hope I'll be able to keep it for the rest of the time we live here in Provo.

No comments:

Tags

30 things (3) 4th (3) Alaska (5) Arizona (6) art (2) Audrey-isms (26) Baby #2 (25) Baby #3 (5) Baby #4 (1) Baby Girl #1 (57) back to school feast (1) backyard (8) beach (4) Best Things About Utah List (9) Birth Stories (1) birthdays (4) books (8) bravery magazine (1) BYU sports (1) california (10) camping (2) Christmas (36) church (7) college (1) cousins (19) dad time (4) days (5) DI treasures (1) Dobbins (17) dreams (3) easter (3) Elijah (22) fall (14) Family (66) family history (2) family pictures (2) fatherhood (3) FHE (2) food (2) Friends (44) future hillary (10) goals (8) God (5) Good Old Salt Lake (28) graduations (2) grandparents (5) hair journeys (3) Halloween (4) Hanaikes (12) Hannah (19) Hilarity (11) hobbies (2) holidays (13) Home (24) house (2) Jesus Christ (6) Journal Moments (47) Just us (13) Kaia (1) Learning (7) Life before marriage (17) Life in Provo (86) Love (21) memories (4) Menieres (14) mommydaughterdates (4) mother/son time (1) Motherhood (45) mothers day (1) Movies (27) My small and simple things (20) nature (22) New Years (4) north salt lake life (52) ocean (13) parenthood (25) passions (2) pets (2) poly pride (2) ponds (1) pregnancy (6) princesses (4) projects (1) Random (24) religion (7) role models (2) Samantha (1) School (15) self improvement (1) sewing (4) shows (2) sister and brothers (9) sisters (12) sisters and brothers (12) sleeping cuteness (9) Songs (3) spring (5) summer (20) temples (7) tender mercies (16) this dobbins crew (15) traditions (8) updates (6) Vacations (20) Valentines Day (1) Videos (11) visits (11) winter (5) wonderful weekends (10) work (3)