Monday, February 17, 2014

Big Girl Things

Audrey is 6 months old!  It's amazing that it's only been that long.  But of course sometimes it seems like she's growing way too fast.  6 months have brought a lot of new exciting things.  Here are some of the big girl things she is currently doing.  She….

sits up like a pro…a little ahead of the curve too!

wears shoes without kicking them off
enjoys good literature

sits in the big girl seat in the stroller rather than the car seat

can reach the floor without a stack of books under her feet when playing in the jumper (notice the books removed)

enjoys a good cartoon

sits in the big girl seat in the shopping cart when at the store with mommy

"eats" solid foods…..we're still working on this one

aaaand puts herself to sleep when she's tired!

An excerpt from my journal a few months ago explains my feelings about how far we've come as mother and daughter :

(also just so we're clear, Andrew and Audrey's relationship has also become quite adorable and amazing.  But since I'm the keeper of the blog my feelings end up on it…and his usually don't.  Just know that he is just as big a part of her life as I am.  I'm just the one who gushes about it.)

It's amazing to stop and realize how much we have grown in the last several months.  Even just the last 2 months…I know my child so much better.  I know how to comfort her.  Today is Audrey's 4 month appointment.  It's SO crazy to think that we've only had her for 4 months.  I thought back a little to that first month, those first doctor's appointments in California, those visits to the "newborn club" at Kaiser. At those visits I needed so much help with her.  Her hysterical crying…I didn't know how to comfort her at all.  And now look at me.  I know her cries.  I know when she's hungry, I know when she's tired.  I know her hurt cry and I know her scared cry.  And I know that holding her close and rocking up and down swiftly while singing or talking in her ear comforts her when she is upset.  I'm so happy to be able to say with absolute certainty that I know my child.  And joyful to also know for a fact that she knows me.  She knows my touch and sometimes I am all she wants.  I love her so much.  'Worth it' doesn't do these last 4 months of life with Audrey justice.  They've been so hard.  But so truly wonderful.  The refiner's fire of it is astounding to me.  I feel so much better about myself than ever before in my life.  I think it's because I'm working hard for my little family and I'm emotionally connected to them.  I'm working hard emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually.  There are so many things I don't get done in a day, I know, but I also know that I am trying my hardest at this.  My weight going up and down, my hair always a mess, sometimes in pajamas all day……and yet I pass by the mirror with Audrey asleep in my arms and I'm happy with the person I see.  I love my baby and I truly love my life right now.  I hope to have a big family with a lots of kids.  Because I love this life.

Recently I heard about an article going around on Facebook that says 'having kids ruins your life.'  I think it's very sad that this person feels this way and hasn't experienced the absolute joy that comes from being a parent.  I didn't read it…but to that person all I can say is that I truly hope that one day they can have the chance to know what true happiness it is to have a child love and depend on them unconditionally.  In my opinion it beats world travel, beats having a 'hot body', even beats education.  Such purpose doesn't exist in these things.  It exists in love, real live love.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

You are so right Hillary! Kids are the best! All I ever wanted growing up was to get married and be a mommy! My kids and grandbabies keep me going! Love every single one of them (that includes the sweethearts they married!)

Anonymous said...

I just can't believe she's already 6 months old! :-) What a little blessing she is. -melanie

Tags

30 things (3) 4th (3) Alaska (5) Arizona (6) art (2) Audrey-isms (26) Baby #2 (25) Baby #3 (5) Baby #4 (1) Baby Girl #1 (57) back to school feast (1) backyard (8) beach (4) Best Things About Utah List (9) Birth Stories (1) birthdays (4) books (8) bravery magazine (1) BYU sports (1) california (10) camping (2) Christmas (36) church (7) college (1) cousins (19) dad time (4) days (5) DI treasures (1) Dobbins (17) dreams (3) easter (3) Elijah (22) fall (14) Family (66) family history (2) family pictures (2) fatherhood (3) FHE (2) food (2) Friends (44) future hillary (10) goals (8) God (5) Good Old Salt Lake (28) graduations (2) grandparents (5) hair journeys (3) Halloween (4) Hanaikes (12) Hannah (19) Hilarity (11) hobbies (2) holidays (13) Home (24) house (2) Jesus Christ (6) Journal Moments (47) Just us (13) Kaia (1) Learning (7) Life before marriage (17) Life in Provo (86) Love (21) memories (4) Menieres (14) mommydaughterdates (4) mother/son time (1) Motherhood (45) mothers day (1) Movies (27) My small and simple things (20) nature (22) New Years (4) north salt lake life (52) ocean (13) parenthood (25) passions (2) pets (2) poly pride (2) ponds (1) pregnancy (6) princesses (4) projects (1) Random (24) religion (7) role models (2) Samantha (1) School (15) self improvement (1) sewing (4) shows (2) sister and brothers (9) sisters (12) sisters and brothers (12) sleeping cuteness (9) Songs (3) spring (5) summer (20) temples (7) tender mercies (16) this dobbins crew (15) traditions (8) updates (6) Vacations (20) Valentines Day (1) Videos (11) visits (11) winter (5) wonderful weekends (10) work (3)