Monday, January 20, 2014

Laughing


So around midnight last night Andrew and I had one of those late night laughing attacks that I thought were mostly for the single days.  Nope.  It was a very random inside joke but for some reason it sent us over the edge.  So much so that we had to get out of bed and come in the living room so we wouldn’t wake Audrey up.  I’ll never forget how much Andrew was laughing.  He pushed his face into the pillow several times, calmed down and thought he was done only to chuckle once more and send himself over the edge again.  Contagious.  It was so fun to be bent over in laughter once we came out to the living room, hitting each other, bumping into each other, hugging during it, almost crying.  And we recognized that it was not that funny.  But for some reason it was.  I think maybe we needed it.  
Andrew is my bestest best best friend.  This was a reminder of that.  Thinking about that this morning also got me thinking about another time when our best friend-ness came through in our marriage.  It was when we were trying to induce labor by walking around the Tanforan mall for hours.  We decided to count how many stores we went to and we estimated that we would go to about 7 or 8 I think.  And we ended up with 22!!!  We didn’t buy a single thing, just walked around holding hands showing each other things, laughing, talking about funny things, talking about our baby, our likes, our dislikes, good memories, sharing our interests.  I remember being in a store that was selling nice paintings and showing him the ones I liked saying how I hope we can have things like that in our future home someday when we have more money.  Walking around 9 months pregnant for 3 hours didn’t induce labor at all- turns out labor was still about a week away.  But it did give us some good happy happy happy time together before our life was about to drastically change.  I think those times are the cement of a relationship.  The things that fill in the cracks between the bricks of a house.  The bricks being the big life events that happen, like having a baby, moving to a new place, getting a big grown up job.  The house being the life that we are building together.  “Come what may and love it,” said Elder Wirthlin.  Endure to the end, but endure it well.  That’s something I learned about more than a year ago.  There is a scripture that says, “And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high.” So, don't just endure, but endure WELL.  I think this is what enduring it well means.  

"The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable.” 

-Joseph B. Wirthlin

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I always loved it when Andrew had giggles like that while the kids were growing up!

Tags

30 things (3) 4th (3) Alaska (5) Arizona (6) art (2) Audrey-isms (26) Baby #2 (25) Baby #3 (5) Baby #4 (1) Baby Girl #1 (57) back to school feast (1) backyard (8) beach (4) Best Things About Utah List (9) Birth Stories (1) birthdays (4) books (8) bravery magazine (1) BYU sports (1) california (10) camping (2) Christmas (36) church (7) college (1) cousins (19) dad time (4) days (5) DI treasures (1) Dobbins (17) dreams (3) easter (3) Elijah (22) fall (14) Family (66) family history (2) family pictures (2) fatherhood (3) FHE (2) food (2) Friends (44) future hillary (10) goals (8) God (5) Good Old Salt Lake (28) graduations (2) grandparents (5) hair journeys (3) Halloween (4) Hanaikes (12) Hannah (19) Hilarity (11) hobbies (2) holidays (13) Home (24) house (2) Jesus Christ (6) Journal Moments (47) Just us (13) Kaia (1) Learning (7) Life before marriage (17) Life in Provo (86) Love (21) memories (4) Menieres (14) mommydaughterdates (4) mother/son time (1) Motherhood (45) mothers day (1) Movies (27) My small and simple things (20) nature (22) New Years (4) north salt lake life (52) ocean (13) parenthood (25) passions (2) pets (2) poly pride (2) ponds (1) pregnancy (6) princesses (4) projects (1) Random (24) religion (7) role models (2) Samantha (1) School (15) self improvement (1) sewing (4) shows (2) sister and brothers (9) sisters (12) sisters and brothers (12) sleeping cuteness (9) Songs (3) spring (5) summer (20) temples (7) tender mercies (16) this dobbins crew (15) traditions (8) updates (6) Vacations (20) Valentines Day (1) Videos (11) visits (11) winter (5) wonderful weekends (10) work (3)