Here are some things we've already noticed about our girl that makes her
an individual:
- She likes to stick her little
bum out. The doctor said that her
head is down which means that the big bulge always protruding at the top
of my belly is most likely her butt.
- She seems to like to shake that
little butt, because it goes from one side of my belly to the other pretty
regularly!
- She is a very hiccupy baby.
- She is 5 pounds and 4 ounces
right now, measuring a little on the small side but doing quite well.
- She seems to be most
comfortable when her feet are jammed up into my ribcage
- She is a thumb sucker- this we
know from our most recent ultrasound.
- In the evenings she likes to
lean as far forward as she possibly can, trying to tip mommy over. The scary part is that it just might
work one of these days.
- She is a tease and a trickster. She likes to boogie in the evenings until the moment- the exact MOMENT- someone puts their hand on my belly to feel her moving. Then she stops cold and doesn’t start again until that person is halfway across the room. Of course the people that are with me the most have felt her pretty often - my mom, dad, brother, and sister so far- and of course Andrew who feels her the most often aside from myself.
It's interesting to think back to our very first ultrasound...it seems
so long ago that sometimes I forget that it was her and not the miscarriage
ultrasound. We had recently lost a baby
July of last year, and so while we were excited to find out we were expecting
again in November, we were also nervous (and probably preparing for the worst a
little too much). One of my friends had
just had two miscarriages in a row and my mind was just riddled with doubt and
gloominess about it. When we went in for
our first ultrasound this time around, the first image that came up on the
screen looked like a very empty uterus and I immediately got very emotional and
tried to hold in tears. Suddenly the
image changed…and there she was bouncing up and down inside me. I will always feel like she knew we were
there looking at her right then and she was saying to us, “I’m here! Don’t worry I’m here mom and dad! It’s me!!”
It literally looked like she was on a trampoline- the ultrasound
technician guy even said “Whoa…let’s wait for this kid to calm down a
little.” Then the tears came, but for a
different reason.
![]() |
| Her first ultrasound |
And now we are less than a month away from meeting her, holding her in
our arms. I try so hard to imagine what
she'll be like, but I still just cant. I
can imagine other people's babies I've seen...but I can’t imagine ours yet
because I just know that whatever I imagine is not really her. It's like the whole "real life is better
than your dreams" quote. We've been
waiting for this for much longer than nine months, dreaming about what our
child will be like, what it will feel like to hold her. And now the dreaming is about to end...and we
will have the real thing. And I already
know that my dreams about it wont even compare to the reality. That's like how it was with marriage too-
just so much better than I could imagine.
And I know that there will be those "hardest times of my life"
parts too, but I believe that those parts also do something to contribute the
happy, happy life we're going to have with her.
I saw this quote on a friend's blog today that comforts me about the
hard times that lay ahead:
So, although we are still nervous about the next steps in
life (and I'm scared to death for labor and delivery) we say bring it on little girl!
Bring on the sleepless nights, the diapers, the potty training, the
screaming temper fits, the back talking.
Give us the hard times, give us the happy ones. We know you'll give us some heartache in our
parental life, but it'll only be because our hearts are full to bursting of
love for you. And we know from the faith
we have, from experiences of others, and from what we already feel in our
hearts for you that it will all be worth it.

No comments:
Post a Comment