Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year

So we're back in Provo. And it's not Christmas anymore. So I should probably change my blog a little bit. But WHO HAS THE TIME??? Here are a few of the things that happened right when we got back:

First of all school started. For both of us this time. Inconvenient. Actually let me back up a little further.....
FIRST of all a 17 hour train ride. On which I was SICK the whole time. Second of all when we finally got back into our apartment sweet apartment, we realized we left our phone chargers in California and our phones were both on the verge of DEATH. THEN school started. And we realized my financial aide paperwork wasn't complete. Then one of Andrew's books for class did not arrive. Then we took down our Christmas tree :(. Then I found out that for this first week of school I was scheduled for five 6-8 hour shifts at work. Then we realized our computer doesn't have the programs needed for my online classes. Then our Christmas package from the Dobbins still didn't arrive. Then Andrew was on his deathbed with a crazy high fever, shakes, coughs and other just unpleasant things. And over all....it's just time for these Dobbins to have a good cry. Maybe not Andrew. But me. It's me who needs a good cry.

Now ranting and raving about how my life is so hard is no way to start a new year and I know that. Especially because most of the problems we encountered were just because we were unprepared and irresponsible. So now for the good stuff. First of all, we had Christmas with my family. Now I should never never never complain about anything ever again because of what an amazing blessing that was. It was Andrew's first time spending more than just a few days with my family and everything went wonderfully. We played soooo many games, ate so much good food, saw so many friends and family, sang Christmas songs, watched a hundred Christmas movies, and played JUST DANCE till we JUST DIED. It was one of the best Christmases of my life.

Second of all our computer that had completely perished before we even went to California suddenly started working again and we didn't have to pay the $300 to get it fixed! And just in time for my online classes. We are still figuring out and downloading programs for my classes, but having the computer back is a HUGE miracle and blessing. And we have now officially been married for over 6 months! I just like the sound of that. And we have a cozy apartment to call our own. We have movies and food and a dishwasher. And so much to be grateful for.

See, Hillary? The good outweighs the bad by a whole paragraph! And now for the New Years hopes and wishes. And goals, I suppose. I'm not so good at New Years Resolutions because I tend to over-schedule my year with them. I have no idea what this year will bring and I think that everyone gets a little nervous thinking about the future. Especially newly weds that don't even know where they will be this summer. I keep thinking 'what if we have a kid soon?' Or 'what if Andrew stays sick for the rest of the year?' Or 'what if I fail all of my classes?' Or 'what if we end up in China for an internship?' Or 'what if financial aide never does come?' Or 'what if I'm not able to see Grandpa again?' That last one especially gets me sad.

But don't worry. I haven't lost my eternal perspective. This is just me thinking out loud on the blog. Everyone does a little worrying. I think that I've been blessed with a pretty fantastic life here on earth. And I am very excited to see where it will go. Because I know everything is in the Lord's hands and I trust Him.

I'm excited and nervous about this new year. But mostly just curious what it will bring.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Hillary, I can't tell you how happy I am someone invented blogs so I can keep looking forward to reading about you and your Andrew and the very surprising life unfolding before you. I mean, I'm not surprised you're so happy and doing so well--it's just, you know...Utah, Alaska, maybe CHINA??? And other stuff. So very happy for you!

Tags

30 things (3) 4th (3) Alaska (5) Arizona (6) art (2) Audrey-isms (26) Baby #2 (25) Baby #3 (5) Baby #4 (1) Baby Girl #1 (57) back to school feast (1) backyard (8) beach (4) Best Things About Utah List (9) Birth Stories (1) birthdays (4) books (8) bravery magazine (1) BYU sports (1) california (10) camping (2) Christmas (36) church (7) college (1) cousins (19) dad time (4) days (5) DI treasures (1) Dobbins (17) dreams (3) easter (3) Elijah (22) fall (14) Family (66) family history (2) family pictures (2) fatherhood (3) FHE (2) food (2) Friends (44) future hillary (10) goals (8) God (5) Good Old Salt Lake (28) graduations (2) grandparents (5) hair journeys (3) Halloween (4) Hanaikes (12) Hannah (19) Hilarity (11) hobbies (2) holidays (13) Home (24) house (2) Jesus Christ (6) Journal Moments (47) Just us (13) Kaia (1) Learning (7) Life before marriage (17) Life in Provo (86) Love (21) memories (4) Menieres (14) mommydaughterdates (4) mother/son time (1) Motherhood (45) mothers day (1) Movies (27) My small and simple things (20) nature (22) New Years (4) north salt lake life (52) ocean (13) parenthood (25) passions (2) pets (2) poly pride (2) ponds (1) pregnancy (6) princesses (4) projects (1) Random (24) religion (7) role models (2) Samantha (1) School (15) self improvement (1) sewing (4) shows (2) sister and brothers (9) sisters (12) sisters and brothers (12) sleeping cuteness (9) Songs (3) spring (5) summer (20) temples (7) tender mercies (16) this dobbins crew (15) traditions (8) updates (6) Vacations (20) Valentines Day (1) Videos (11) visits (11) winter (5) wonderful weekends (10) work (3)