Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I'm Thankful for Home

I'm going to copy you, Mom....
Things I'm thankful for. Hopefully I can remember to do one every day.

This first one will probably be a combination of a few things I'm thankful for...it may also end up being a bit of a vent. Right now I'm very thankful that I'm not spoiled. At least I don't feel like I am....

So on that note, I'm thankful for home. My appreciation for home always increases the more I'm away from it. I have been really homesick lately. But I've noticed that I've gotten better at dealing with it over the past few years of being at college, and I've grown a lot from having to get through it. Not having an easy way out...not being able to just jump on a plane or take a spontaneous roadtrip home. I appreciate HOME so much more because I haven't been able to do that just whenever I have bad days. So another thing I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving are those tests of endurance. And that I DO have to ride them out. I've realized that I can actually withstand quite a lot.

I'm thankful for my parents and the way I was raised. I'm thankful that I've never been rich, never had an allowance, and never been able to be too frivolous. I look at some of the people around here and am always surprised at how easily they expect things to come to them. How they expect other people to take care of the messes they make and how they spend their parents money on whatever their hearts desire at the moment. Im thankful that I've had to work. That I've learned about independence and self discipline. I don’t have either of those things down perfectly…but I think I am on my way. I'm thankful that I've had to take responsibility for my actions…out of my own pocket usually.

I'm thankful that my Dad had my sisters and I work hard growing up. He seemed to make sure we did as much work as the Young Men at service projects, for example. Enough that I don’t feel like a pansy puff, as Jared would say. I always try to do what I can, even if it may not be very much. I can’t always lift boxes that are bigger than me...but I’m kind of proud to say that I always try to anyway!

So I am thankful for home and everything that comes with it. Tests of endurance, good relationships, and character building experiences. Thanks Mom and Daddaay!!

No comments:

Tags

30 things (3) 4th (3) Alaska (5) Arizona (6) art (2) Audrey-isms (26) Baby #2 (25) Baby #3 (5) Baby #4 (1) Baby Girl #1 (57) back to school feast (1) backyard (8) beach (4) Best Things About Utah List (9) Birth Stories (1) birthdays (4) books (8) bravery magazine (1) BYU sports (1) california (10) camping (2) Christmas (36) church (7) college (1) cousins (19) dad time (4) days (5) DI treasures (1) Dobbins (17) dreams (3) easter (3) Elijah (22) fall (14) Family (66) family history (2) family pictures (2) fatherhood (3) FHE (2) food (2) Friends (44) future hillary (10) goals (8) God (5) Good Old Salt Lake (28) graduations (2) grandparents (5) hair journeys (3) Halloween (4) Hanaikes (12) Hannah (19) Hilarity (11) hobbies (2) holidays (13) Home (24) house (2) Jesus Christ (6) Journal Moments (47) Just us (13) Kaia (1) Learning (7) Life before marriage (17) Life in Provo (86) Love (21) memories (4) Menieres (14) mommydaughterdates (4) mother/son time (1) Motherhood (45) mothers day (1) Movies (27) My small and simple things (20) nature (22) New Years (4) north salt lake life (52) ocean (13) parenthood (25) passions (2) pets (2) poly pride (2) ponds (1) pregnancy (6) princesses (4) projects (1) Random (24) religion (7) role models (2) Samantha (1) School (15) self improvement (1) sewing (4) shows (2) sister and brothers (9) sisters (12) sisters and brothers (12) sleeping cuteness (9) Songs (3) spring (5) summer (20) temples (7) tender mercies (16) this dobbins crew (15) traditions (8) updates (6) Vacations (20) Valentines Day (1) Videos (11) visits (11) winter (5) wonderful weekends (10) work (3)